Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ballerina Pointe Shoe Cake and Buttercream Icing Recipe

Little Miss celebrated her SECOND birthday last week! As I was decorating these cakes, I kept double checking myself to be sure that this really was #2. Hard to believe-- but then, I'm getting used to time flying.

Anyway... I used huge hunks of fondant, flavored with almond extract and dyed pink, for the main pointe shoes. Using my old pair as a model, I basically rolled each piece into a log and formed them into shoes, added the ties and the ribbons. A 2 layer, 8 inch square cake served as the base for the large pointe shoes, and my mini pans (5" and 4") created my mini tier cakes for Little Miss and her little cousin. I topped each mini cake with a pair of tiny pointe shoes, added buttercream ribbons and trim, and we were ready for the family!



Sometimes I have people ask me what the secret is to my icing, but it's so very simple!

Buttercream Icing

2 Pounds Confectioners (Powdered) Sugar
2 Cups Crisco shortening (this brand seems to allow for a truer color and consistency)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract (depending on which I want to smell while I'm decorating!)

Add Crisco and confectioners sugar to a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer on low, combine the 2, being careful not to create an explosion of powdered sugar. Add milk and extract. Mix until creamy. Scrape sides of bowl, and mix for another 2 minutes. This is the consistency I use with icing tips. To ice my cakes, I add 1/8 cup milk to the bowl and mix until well blended. The creamier consistency allows for a smoother finish on my cakes and helps avoid picking up cake crumbs into the icing.
One batch makes enough to cover a single layer 9x13 cake or a 2 layer 8-10 inch round cake


Thanks for stopping by,


2 comments:

Nel said...

Oh my gosh! You are amazing!!! The cakes are adorable! Love them!!!

Amanda, Joseph, and Scottie said...

Love the fondant point shoes. Kelley, you have some amazing talents. Beautiful cakes.