Thursday, December 10, 2009

Baby Shower Train Cake




I whipped this up today for Big Sister's math teacher's baby shower. The request was for a train cake to match pastel blue, green, and beige decorations. I really enjoyed being able to provide the cake. In fourth grade, there aren't an overabundance of opportunities to get involved and connect with the teachers!

This cake was very simple and started with 2-layer 8 inch and 6 inch round, chocolate cakes. I used beige buttercream icing between the layers and on the cakes, blue and green buttercream in decorating bags for trim.

I made the train a couple days ahead of time from tinted fondant. I cut out the base shape, added the accent pieces and lightly rolled over them to smash the two layers together a bit. The large end of a decorating tip shaped my wheels.

At first, I piped my wording onto the top of the cake, but I wasn't happy with the way it turned out. Rather than mess with scraping and re-smoothing, I opted to add a fondant circle with my wording. I added a rope of contrasting fondant to trim the circle, and I was finished!



Thanks for stopping by,

1 comment:

Nel said...

Adorable as usual!!! ;)