Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Valentine's Dud

We're not big on Valentine's Day around here. I think the last time we really celebrated the day was the first Valentine's Day we were dating-- seven years ago. I made him a tray of brownies and gooey butter cake cut into hearts. He gave me a beautiful journal and chocolates. We went to eat at our now favorite Japanese restaurant. That was our "play it safe" year, the year we celebrated just in case the other was a V-Day sucker.

Ever since then, we exchange a "Happy Valentine's Day" in the morning and leave well enough alone. It's not that we're not romantic. It just happened that neither of us really cared about the holiday and instead preferred to celebrate days that were more personal to us.

Like Friday the Thirteenth.

Now there's a day that we never miss!

We met on September 13, 2002: A Friday.

He told me he loved me for the first time on December 13, 2002: A Friday.

We wanted so badly to get married on May 13, 2005 (a Friday), but I was teaching, and the school year was still in session then.

You won't see my husband fighting the V-Day crowds to secure a table for dinner or tickets to a romantic movie. He prefers Friday 13th over Valentine's, but that's just another thing that I love about him!



9 comments:

Sara said...

Hi Kelley,
I loved your post! My hubby and I don't celebrate Valentine's day either. Feb. 11th is more special to us because it's our anniversary. Now that's a day we always look forward too

Ashley said...

How cute! We don't do V-Day either...I've never been much into it, but we prefer our Wedding Anniversary, which is Feb. 28th!

Jessica said...

I know I'm doing the whole V-day Extravaganza this week, but I'm not really that into it either. We don't exchange gifts anymore and I'm not even sure we're going to exchange cards this year. We're going to dinner and a movie the weekend after, that's our standard!

Tiffany said...

Aww, so cute!!

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Yeah! We don't celebrate V day as well.. probably its because we went out for almost 10 years before we decided its really time to get married.. :P

Dropping by from Friday Follow to wish you a happy weekend! :)

The Girl Next Door Grows Up said...

That is cool. We aren't big on V-Day either although we get our girls into it!

I am following you from the Friday Follow. I can't wait to read more :-))

~SHANNON~ said...

Another Catholic mommy! Yay! Also love your take on V-day!

I'm here from Friday Follow! I'm glad to have found your blog! Following you now. Hope you'll follow me back! :)

Shannon at:http://www.milkandcuddles.com/

Bobbi said...

You and your husband sound very much like my husband and I! So glad to see there are others out there like us! LOL

I came from the Friday Follow, so glad to have found your blog! Following :)

Have a great weekend!

-Bobbi

Jessica said...

Hey! Found you over at Friday Follow. I thought I'd stop by and leave a comment and invite you over to my blogs.
My family blog: http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com
My Custom Design Blog (where I am currently offering free custom blog designs): http://sostylilized.blogspot.com

Hope to see you as the newest follower over at my blogs.

Happy Friday!! :)