Monday, April 2, 2012

Bundle of JOY


In a few short weeks, I'll be embarking on a new adventure. A tiny bundle of joy will arrive to cure my baby fever, and I will be an AUNT! I can't explain how excited I've been about this little gal and for my sister and brother-in-law. I just know they'll be such Godly parents, and I'm already so proud of them. Amos and I have both been awaiting our first niece and getting very excited to cuddle her and spoil her just like they have done with our kids.

A few weekends ago, we packed our younger kids into our tiny rice burner car and made the four hour drive to KC. I thought we were just going to photo document my sister's baby belly, but it turns out that we were also going to receive a huge surprise invitation.

We were asked to be godparents!

It may seem logical that an aunt and uncle would be chosen for such a role, but my sister and brother-in-law are blessed with an amazing network of Catholic friends. We really hadn't thought for a second that we'd be asked, so when we pulled this out--

--it was as much a surprise as their pregnancy announcement! Amos was a teary eyed mess, and I could only wonder what in the world we would have to offer our niece that she wouldn't already get from her parents. My little sister is an amazing Catholic youth minister with a degree in theology. She is my go-to source for my religious questions and one of the most intentional Catholics I know.

Already, I'm finding this role to be strengthening my faith and providing an avenue to grow closer to Christ. As with all our adventures, we'll be praying for wisdom to walk His path on this journey and to faithfully reinforce our sweet niece and goddaughter's own Catholic faith.

4 comments:

Bethany Haid said...

What an honor!

Dan's godparents really shirked their duty, I think, though they are relatives and friendly and gave him an extra Christmas present. I feel like he really missed out, but then i think for his family, naming a godparent was more along the lines of a special recognition, like a namesake.

I do not have godparents for my children, and I always wondered what a godparent would do for my child. Would they take her in in the event of my sudden death? Would they support me in some kind of teenage rebellion phase?

I can tell that it would be a huge honor to be a godparent from the way you described how you felt when you were asked.

Congrats!

Bethany Haid said...

PS - I mean I think his godparents missed their duty because they never guided him in religion. They didn't bat an eye when he didn't get married int he Catholic church or started taking communion in another faith's church. I felt like they should have stood up for their faith or at least had a friendly debate about the merits of Catholicism.

StumblingServant said...

I just saw this post and it definitely made me tear up. Thank you for being such a great sister, and Aunt! Felicity is already so lucky to have god-parents that will be focused on their calling! :)

Oh, and Bethany, just a little info on the purpose and role of God-parents (or sponsors). The role is "together with the parents to present the child for baptism, and to help it to live a christian life befitting the baptised and faithfully to fulfil the duties inherent in baptism." The principal responsibility of a godparent is to give witness to the Catholic faith by his words and actions. :) They, of course, must also believe in the Catholic faith he/she is called upon to profess during the baptism. :)

It's a common misconception that god-parents are adoptive parents in case of a problem, or that they are simply gift-givers on special occations, but that is most certainly not the purpose! haha.

The most simple way I've heard it said is that they are "spiritual parents" or "helpers on the road to faith" :)

Nel said...

Before I read the other comments I must say this gave me goosebumps!!! I totally agree! I love and am very happy and content with our 'lifestyles' that our vacation are much more family oriented. I hope you guys have a wonderful time and make a million memories!