Thursday, July 21, 2011

Summer/School


It's kind of amazing how much a mom's identity is formed by her children. It's been ten years since I've been home without children. From my first pregnancy, I've assumed my God-given duties as a mother with honor. I've been present as much as possible to raise my three, and even in my teaching years, my oldest was in school and I was home when she was. When Noah came along, I submitted my resignation, not thinking twice about explaining that educating my own child was my priority. I've been a homemaker ever since. There has ALWAYS been a need for me to be physically present with my children. If I was away from them, it came with relief mixed with a tiny bit of "I hope they don't need my while I'm gone." Mothering my children has been a constant, 24 hour/day job for years, but those hours are about to change.


The year ahead is daunting. One child is moving from elementary to middle school, another beginning kindergarten, and the third will start preschool. It all seems like too much all at once, and I worry about being able to be supportive enough of each one of them simultaneously. All three of them will need extra attention in the next couple months as they adapt to their new schools, and all the while I'm going to have to find my own way into my altered role as Mom. How will I cram all the teaching that I did over 13 hours each day into a mere six? Are they ready?

For now, I'm choosing to soak up as much summer as I can while it lasts!













1 comment:

Holly Rutchik said...

Oh Kelley! God bless you! I've been praying about being present with my kids these days as well - hard as I try to think I am ok with anything less - I am not.
It's been a huge month of big changes and huge stress for me. It is all for the good of our family, but I am sorry I have dropped the ball on other things (such as getting back to YOU) :( God bless you!