Monday, February 21, 2011

Ten Grand

Tomorrow I'll be taking my van to the shop once again. The cost to work on the suspension will likely be $1000. I cried when I found out. I always cry. I am weak and get frustrated with the unexpectedness of it all. This will put our total van repairs over the 10,000 mark. That's right. TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS over the last three years.

So where does that put our loan payoff movement, the one that we started less than a week ago? Right on schedule thanks to the savings we stashed for inevitable circumstances like this one! I'll rebuild our lost savings with extra earnings here and there, and if our balance falls below our comfort level, we'll pause our extra debt payments and focus on nursing the account.

It feels great to feel in charge of our income. I know that it'll take us three years to pay everything, assuming no job loss or tragedy strikes our family. But that's not as terrifying as it used to be, not as overwhelming. I know we're getting ready for something more, a life that God intended us to live. We've purchased college degrees and vehicles on credit, learned first hand why Jesus taught against borrowing money, and now we're finally going to live with financial responsibility. God didn't intend for us to live the three years of financial headache ahead of us; we created that mess. A necessary, self-inflicted life of living paycheck to paycheck is no one's fault but our own. It's strangely empowering to acknowledge that failure; it comes with an awareness that we can control our finances.

If you haven't invested a few minutes into this website, you really should. Mr. Ramsey operates largely on common sense and it's very likely you're already familiar with his financial theory. His conservative, Christian views of financial planning have earned my respect and attention in the last year or so. And for all you Missourians, he'll be visiting Kansas City in two weeks. My husband's busy then, but I'm really considering making the drive and bribing my sis and brother-in-law (hint, hint) into watching my kiddos.

2 comments:

Holly Rutchik said...

Ahh! Same boat over here, what a wonderful post! We too have a van that has cost us a lot in repairs. It's been sitting here since July 1st, when it broke down and we couldn't fix it. I had to give up having something to drive for over 6 months. But, now we have number 3 coming and our kids won't FIT in our one car. So, now we are thinking of spending the 2,000 it will take to fix it. It's a really hard call as we too are on The Total Money Makeover!! But, we don't have a lean on the car, so it is paid off and it would be best to pay for it to be fixed because we are no longer going to take out loans for cars. So, as soon as my hubby gets a fulltime job (please pray) they we will spend moeny from our emergency fund on the van. Until then, we wait, just in case we need that money for more months of no job. It seems harder, being on this plan, but I know it will pay off for us in the end. I love the Total Money Makeover!

Chrissy said...

Great post. I hope you get to go! :)