Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Shopping Bag Cake: Tutorial in Text


I had so much fun making this shopping bag cake for my Aunt's birthday! I started with two 9x13 cakes cut in half lengthwise and stacked 4 high. The great thing about this cake was that I was able to slather buttercream between the layers and over the entire structure without worrying about neatness.

I cut 4 sheets of fondant to fit the dimensions of the cake and wrote the store name in black food coloring. Then I tinted and rolled fondant and cut random shapes for my tissue paper. I let all of this dry overnight.

I applied my sheets to each side of my "bag" and used buttercream on the corner seams. I twirled 12 " strands of black fondant and folded them over the top of of my larger panels for my bag handles. My tissue paper laid on top of the cake.

On the side was a fondant gift tag with a Happy Birthday message paired with a "bracelet" made from black fondant "beads" strung on florist wire.

And there you have it! I would love to do this shopping bag cake again in a couture label or maybe a Victoria's Secret. It was such a simple design but would work for so many occasions!

4 comments:

David Coles said...

Hello - I'm interested in advertising on your blog... here is my web business:

http://ourhappyhomestead.com

please let me know if you're interested, I can be reached at dave@ourhappyhomestead.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for the clear instructions :) I am planning on making this cake today and have my cakes baked and ready to go. Just wanted to ask a few questions please.

What did you use for supporting the cake? Dowels? Cake boards underneath any layers?

Also; did you knead some tylose into your fondant to get it to stand so firm and sharp? I am concerned about the 4 fondant panels sagging and not standing upright like yours.

Lastly; how many slices would you say this cake feeds?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Kelley said...

I did use dowels inside the cake for stabilizing. Just one strong cake board beneath the entire structure.

The trick (or at least what I did) to make the fondant stiff is to make it well in advance- at least 2-3 days.

I'd estimate this to be 40-50 servings.

Anonymous said...

I was the one who asked the questions last year :) Thanks a lot for coming back to give answers to my questions :)