Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What I've Learned in My Two Weeks of Line Drying Clothes


When making the decision to line dry laundry, one should consider the following:

1. That fitted tank top that always shrunk down to the perfect fit in the dryer can be donated as its days of cute fittedness have passed.

2. There is a circumstance in this world where jeans do, in fact, need to be ironed.

3. Purchase an iron and ironing board as the clothes line does not come with a wrinkle free setting.

4. Towels will certainly resemble a combination of cardboard and sandpaper and will now make the perfect exfoliator.

5. Items that could in any way resemble the color of a flower will certainly be investigated by a bumble bee or two. Blue, pink, red, yellow, orange, purple, and white items resemble flowers. Consider purchasing a black wardrobe, or steak out your getaway path before hanging items of these colors.

6. Collecting clothing from the line after dark may be hazardous. Tread carefully.

7. That sun-dried scent may not be all it's talked up to be. Although it may not smell awful, prepare yourself for confusion and disappointment after taking a whiff of freshly dried clothing.

8. Smile, cross your fingers, and pray that a lower electric bill comes to make all the insanity worthwhile!




7 comments:

Chrissy said...

I have never had the desire to line dry. And while I've never experienced it first-hand, these reasons are what I expected. So thanks for the affirmation! ;o)

Mrs F said...

Hmmm makes me 2nd think wanting a clothes line...

MisAdventuresofMomof3 said...

Oh but the smell of line dried clothes is so worth it. I remember when we line dried for years - I loved the smell of the clothes.

Mrs. Haid said...

I think the smell is no good, too. I used it all last summer and fall and now have for the last two weeks, too. I use the dryer for about 10 minutes on fluff cycle with a scented dryer sheet! That way there is no need to iron.

Ashley said...

So it hasn't gotten any better, huh?! Bummer.

StumblingServant said...

I got used to this by the end of my 3 months in Italy, but it was only my clothes! Have fun! :P

Mary Q Contrarie said...

I stopped using my dryer about two years ago. I dry all my clothes on clothes drying racks. This way I don't have to go into the yard. Some days the rack doesn't even leave the house. I save any where from 6-10% compared to when I did use a dryer on my electric bill. So I think it is worth while.

To help with the stiffness and wrinkles. Put a cup of vinegar in where the softener is suppose to go. This really helps keep them soft. The other trick that I have found is shake your clothes both before and after drying this too will keep ironing to a minimum.