Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Top of the Morning to You




Happy Saint Patrick's Day! St. Patrick's Day has always held a place close to my heart, perhaps because there's more Irish blood in me than anything else! I can remember my dad greeting me with a "Top of the morning!" on St. Patrick's Days as a kid, and I always looked forward to wearing my green (even though I forgot that morning and received my pinch on occasion)! As a Mom, I've dressed my kids in St. Pat's attire on each and every March 17th.

But for me, St. Patrick's Day doesn't center around leprechauns, rainbows, and pots of gold. St. Patrick Day is a day to remember a great man.

Born in 385 A.D., St. Patrick was Scottish-born and was captured and taken as a slave to Ireland at 14 years old. He relied on God to see him through his time in slavery. Six years later, St. Patrick was told in a dream to leave Ireland, and so he escaped and traveled by boat back to his family. Later, he dreamed the people of Ireland were calling to him to join them, and after he was ordained a priest and bishop, St. Patrick was sent to spread the gospel to the Irish. He used the shamrock as a tool to teach the blessed trinity. For forty years, the saint spread the news of the Gospel in Ireland, starting churches and spreading Catholicism throughout the country.

God worked through St. Patrick to bring the gospel to my ancestors. I am truly blessed to be an Irish Girl!

May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow,
and may trouble avoid you wherever you go!

6 comments:

Tina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina said...

GREAT Picture!
Happy - St. Pat's!!!!!!

Chrissy said...

Love the picture! :o)

Molly said...

CUTE picture!!! :)

Mrs. Haid said...

PLUS... patron saint of engineering, right?!?! It was E Week here on our campus last week and I remember all the fun things that went a long with dating an engineer. I hope you had some of those same experiences, too!

Debbie said...

I hope you had a wonderful St. Patrick's Day!