Monday, February 1, 2010

The Simple Woman's Daybook: February 1st




For Today... February 1, 2010

Outside my window... Praise God for this blue sky! Our road is still a solid sheet of packed snow in most parts, but I was able to get Big Sister off to school this morning in spite of the elements. Our firewood pile is dwindling, and I'm afraid we'll be relying solely on the electric before the week is out.

From the kitchen... I made a dessert that my husband loves. I think it's the third time I've done this in the seven years I've known him! This one involved saltine crackers, brown sugar, butter and unsweetened baking chocolate. I loved the smell of cooking it more than anything! I'll have to post the recipe later.

I am wearing... my Maurices jeans, a pink long sleeve tee and a UMR St. Pat's sweatshirt. Oh, and socks- orange and black ones from my OHS teaching days.

From the Learning Rooms... We're finishing up letter writing with a trip to the post office this week. We were supposed to go on Friday, but Little Miss was sleeping when we picked up Big Sister from school, and I didn't want to wake her. It's just like the little stinker to get in the way of our projects! I suppose she's learning a lot, and Little Mister is learning patience!

I am creating... more space in our office! My dad helped us install the cabinet portion of our family room shelf unit yesterday, so we finally have a home for our huge box of board games. That leaves a bit of wiggle room in our office/storage room.

I am praying... for my family members, my friends, and my children! Especially my children. Big Sister and I talked last night about dating, and I told her how smart she is about boys right now... and how dumb most girls get about when it's time to start dating. She thought she'd rather watch her friends make dumb decisions and just learn from them. Oh, how I pray she keeps this mindset, and I pray that I can become a wise parent prepared for teenagers in the next few years!

Around the house... Just general upkeep. The kitchen is where I'll focus my efforts today, and I hope do some more sorting of the office.

One of my favorite things... My little boy. Of course, each of my children is one of my favorite things, but Little Mister is particularly witty these days. He's growing into his own little self more and more, and there are moments when I get to catch a glimpse of the strong, protective man he has the potential to grow into... and then he whops Little Miss with the lid to a board game and we're back to today!

I am pondering these words... "Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to the country and to mankind is to bring up a family." ~George Bernard Shaw

A few plans for the rest of the week... Picking up Little Mister's glasses, finding some time to do birthday pictures (He'll be four this time next week!) and going to our final week of Taekwondo as we've decided that it will better suit him in a year or so.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...

Me and Little Mister on his first birthday!


7 comments:

D and A said...

What a cute picture. I enjoyed your post.

Patty said...

The dessert sounds interesting. We have three teenagers, so I understand the dating concerns. Hope you and your family have a blessed week.

Holly Rutchik said...

It sounds like the dating talk went well! she sounds like a smart gal to me - PLUS you have so much wisdom to pass along. I am so not ready to walk the walk you are on though, just the thought of the dating talk scares me :0
PS- I created a link to your blog on my post this morning!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

awwww what a sweet picture. Thanks for sharing about your day.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Marie said...

Lovely daybook Kelley. It's so nice to be able to put a face to you!! You're such a pretty lady! xxoo

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS to say hi!! I'm also a buddy of Marie's! Isn't she fabulous!

~Kathy~ said...

Wow, that dessert sounds so good! I'd love for you to post the recipe, if you could! :)

What a sweet picture of you and Little Mister!