Saturday, February 20, 2010

Reassurance

Big Sister has strep throat. It couldn't have come at a worse time for her. She missed a sleepover last night. Last time she was invited to a sleepover, we had to cancel at the last minute for a death in the family.

As we were driving home from the Doc's Friday, Big Sister and I talked about how everything happens according to God's plan. And my sweet 9-year-old said, "Maybe God knows that I'm not ready to have sleepovers away from our house yet." There were no tears, only brave disappointment. Maybe it was because she was feeling too lousy to care, but I like to think that it's evidence of her maturing faith. She really is a unique kid. Her personality is almost had to categorize. Endlessly energetic, challenging, passionate, dedicated, high strung, defender of fairness, and a bit stubborn. I cannot wait to see where God leads her and what she offers to the places she is called to be. The best part is that my dear daughter seems just as excited to watch God's plan for her unfold.

Tonight she was feeling much better, so we took a couple hours and treated ourselves to a bit of mother-daughter time. Big Sister whitened her teeth for the first time, we did facial masks, polished our fingernails and toenails, browsed through the Warrior Cats website and took the quiz to find out what clan we'd belong to (if you know what I'm talking about, I feel for you!), and read a bit of The Mother-Daughter Book Club, by Heather Vogel Frederick. We talked about starting our own Mother-Daughter Book Club, tossing around the idea of finding one online or starting one locally. She's full of dreams and ideas, that one.

I try to be diligent about seeking out time for Big Sister, time uninterrupted by preschoolers and toddlers, time free from anything but just the two of us. It was just the two of us for so long, and it is vitally important to me that my firstborn knows that we still have that special link between us.


1 comment:

Marie said...

I love reading about the things you do with your daughters. I missed having that closeness with my own. Because of my eldest daughter's disability, we were close, but it was different. And of course my youngest daughter was never mine, she was always her father's and she never liked me. He drove a wedge between us right from day one and today, of all my five children, she is the only one that refuses to communicate with me. Heartbreaking, but I live in hope that one day . . . I live in hope and faith that will change.