Friday, February 5, 2010

Having a Baby Change Everything

I remember a time when I left a restaurant arm in arm with my husband. Maybe he'd have his arm around my shoulders, or he'd be guiding me with his hand against the small of my back. I'd be looking up at him, smiling or laughing at one of his goofy comments. He'd open my car door and tuck me safely inside; I'd wait for him to take his seat beside me. It was just the two of us.

And then there's tonight. When we left Texas Roadhouse, me ten feet in front of him trying to keep Little Mister from running off toward the car, him with an armful of Little Miss and the birthday presents from the evening. I opened the passenger side sliding door and helped Little Mister into his seat. Daddy opened the opposite door and buckled Little Miss.

Life is so very different now than it was 4 years ago. Blissfully happy, but almost unrecognizably different. We just fit together, my husband and I, we worked. Now we're like a well-oiled machine. We have to be, but the mechanic evenings that we have sometimes... No, there's no real room for spontaneity. Not like there used to be. The kids have us running in seventeen directions, leaving little time for simply smiling up into his face.

But I suppose I'll have that back soon enough. Before long, we'll be missing the craziness that is our life right now. Before long, we'll walk arm in arm from restaurants behind a group of kids too old to want to run off into the street. I'll let him open the car door for me because we won't have to help the little one into their seats. And we'll miss the days when we had to put so much effort into keeping control of our life.


10 comments:

Just Me said...

It must be late because I go tears as I read this, or it just totally resonated with me. I think it is probably the latter.

Marie said...

They grow up far too quickly Kelley, and before too long there are just the two of you again. Take care to protect the you that is both of you, so that you both are still there, together, when those days come. An "us" is the greatest gift you can give your children.

Nel said...

Agreed.

everyday mom of one said...

What a timely post, hubby and I were just having a discussion the other night on all the changes and how WE both fit in and how to make more time for US again.

Tiffany said...

This is lovely. Did you post this once before? I am sure I read it before.

Kelley said...

:-) Nope. Must just me on my mind a lot! Especially when he's gone for days on end like this week!

Cassie said...

This was a sweet post and so very true!

Coupon Clippin' Mommy said...

I agree we will miss these days...we don't even try to go out to dinner with the kids anymore...

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

Having a child does change everything. Hi Just stopping by from the Follow Friday. I'm following you now. Glad you joined the hop this week.

Tami
www.heartsmakefamilies.com

Chrissy said...

I gave you a blog award today on my page, Kelley! Thanks for your sweet and honest posts! :o)