Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Baby Girl Shower Cake




Another cake under my belt, another lesson learned! Only 2 hours, start to finish... not bad! Sometimes I look back and try to figure out how it was exactly that I started decorating cakes. I certainly have no formal training past a few childhood 4-H courses. I wouldn't consider myself a pro by any means. There is much left to learn. A few years ago, I made a cake for my cousins second wedding reception. The wedding took place five hours from our hometown, and so my aunt and uncle decided to throw a reception back home for those guests who couldn't make the drive. I'd made the cake for the wedding shower and had decided to experiment with icing flowers. Apparently, they turned out alright because before I knew it I was making a stacked cake to feed 100. Yikes!

A few years later, and here I am... still standing over the kitchen counter every so often, icing bag in hand, fretting over a bit of artwork that won't exist a few hours later. And I like it that way!

Today's cake was for a baby shower at school. One of the teachers came for a photo session last Sunday and asked if I would have time to make a small cake for the occasion. Normally, I have enough warning to make the two hour trip to Hobby Lobby or one of my favorite decorator supply stores, but this time I had to work with what I had in the cabinets.


One thing that I too often forget to do is thin my buttercream for a smooth finish. It's so much nicer when the icing smoothes on like softened butter. The basic icing is always my biggest worry; perhaps I'll break down and attempt to cover the next one with marshmallow fondant.

I wasn't crazy about my stripes on the bottom layer. That was an experiment for a potential wedding cake, an experiment that I'm going to have to go at from another direction! I so wished I'd had a fondant mat and cutter, but those will be tools that I'll have to buy before the next go 'round!



23 comments:

Shell said...

Very cute!

Mama Bird said...

I think you did a great job. I love doing cakes but I haven't ventured into the fondant. YET. You go!!

Mommy to a lil lady[bug] said...

It came out great! I am no good at decorating cakes!

Holly Rutchik said...

Oh, you are so special! The way you express yourself creatively with such love is why I just want to hug you! This is beautiful. I so wish to learn how - but think I'll stick to the canned frosting for now. :) I hope you're well, I've been thinking of you a lot this week!

Chrissy said...

So pretty, Kelley! :o) Have you ever used fondant? I watch those cake shows sometimes and wonder if most cake makers like it? I think some have said they don't?

Oh, and when I see those shows, I think of you!

Nel Lenae said...

ADORABLE!!! I love love love it!!!

Jessica said...

It looks great!!!

Mayra, mommy to Pooh Bear said...

what a lovely cake! =)

I'm a new follower from Friday Follow....a little late..

Jennifer said...

This cake is beautiful and perfect for a baby shower! I think the stripes look great! I'd love to learn how to decorate cakes. I'm thinking about taking a class at Michael's or something. Great job!

I found you on Follow Friday!
http://giveawaysforyou.blogspot.com/

K Mommy said...

Your blog is too cute! I am stopping by from FOllow Friday! And I am now a follower!

Karmen @ http://whynotdancewithus.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

That looks awesome! Now if only I could have a piece!

Happy FF! I'm a new follower.

The Graves Family (Monkey Tales) said...

I follow you from follow friday! I would love if you come follow my blog.
http://mylittlestgravesies.blogspot.com/
Thanks! Have a wonderful weekend!

Cher said...

Stopping by to say Hi from Follow Friday! Now following you and would love a follow back!

Cher

http://www.mamasmoneysavers.com

Kelly's Lucky You said...

GORGEOUS!!!!

I found you through Friday Follow - nice to meet you! Would you follow me back?

Kelly from Kelly's Lucky You
www.kellysluckyyou.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

To say this cake turned out well would be an understatement. To say you should become a professional cake decorator would be a more appropriate response. Just lovely.
Here from Friday Follow...and your newest follower.
http://thepursuitofmommyness.com/

Kelly said...

OMgosh...you're a Dr. Laura fan! I am too...would love to become your bloggy friend.

http://thepursuitofmommyness.com/

Brianne said...

Cute Cake!! Happy Friday Follow!!

www.justtryingtosavemoney.blogspot.com

Sheri said...

from #FF what a lovely cake!

Marilyn (A Lot of Loves) said...

That cake is beautiful! You have real talent.

I'm following from Follow Friday. I look forward to reading your stuff!

happygal said...

Love it. So, so pretty! Glad to have found your blog through FF. Will be back for sure. I am your newest follower.

MannMom3 said...

Yum and so cute!

Following from Friday Follow..

Happy Friday!

Keely

www.mannland5.com

Crystal said...

Happy SITS Sharefest! You're my 'share' person today. I love your site. My hubs is also in the AF, a meteorologist. I like how you describe the kids in your side column. TOO cute & so real. Anyway, stop by if you'd like. Your cake is beautiful! I'd eat it ;)

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

Hey just stopping by to say Hi from Friday Follow!

Happy Follow Friday!

Tami
www.heartsmakefamilies.com