Monday, January 25, 2010

Remembering Uncle Chuck on National Pie Day


As I sit here writing (with a pencil and spiral bound journal!) in my favorite jeans turned paint attire, glass of wine in hand, Norah playing lazily in the background, deep shades of purple bubble from the crust of my final pie, Apple Blueberry. Today is National Pie Day, after all.


In reality, I didn't even know this day existed until a week ago. I'm quite sure I won't remember to celebrate Pie Day next year (at least not without another reminder from Aunt S), but I do know that we will continue to celebrate my Uncle Chuck in small ways like this. He was such an amazing man, strong and friendly, genuinely compassionate, and a true lover of pie. I am so thankful that I am able to take this day to remember him in such a fun way! My uncle would have gotten a kick out of all of his loved ones baking and eating pies across the country in his honor. It makes me wish we could've done this for him when we could've enjoyed the humor of his reaction.


Today we made two recipes, a very chocolatey recipe to suit my fancy, and the apple blueberry that was more up Hubby's alley.



Little Mister and Daddy were out helping Grandpa, so Little Miss and I spent the afternoon melting chocolate, rolling dough, and enjoying the scent of cocoa mixed with sugar and butter. It was just the two of us. Both our quiet natures left a comfortable silence perfect for reflecting on the memories of Uncle Chuck, many of which were created in this very kitchen... of his laid back laughter, thoughtful questions, and his smile that was reflected just as vividly in his kind eyes.


It was truly a blessing to have a few moments to soak in the memories of family gathered in this kitchen, enjoying coffee, dessert, good conversation, and love. It brings me such contentment each time I realize that I live wrapped in the warmth of my family, my childhood.




3 comments:

Ashley said...

Awesome Kel. Looks like they were great, and I'm sure he would've enjoyed every bite!

Melissa: Mother to 3 Little Sprouts said...

Those look so yummy! I found you at Friday follows!

Mama to 3 Blessings said...

Cute blog - Singed up to follow you - belated Friday Follower! :)