Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pirate, ho!


Little Mister loves pirates. He dressed as one for his second Halloween, loves the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything, and was thrilled when he had a pirate ship play set under the Christmas tree this year. One of his favorite preschool days was our pirate day where we talked like pirates, dressed like pirates, and used booty for mathematics manipulatives. Little Mister named a dear friend of our family who is battling cancer "Pirate Ed" because of the bandanna he sometimes wears. The two of them play pirates whenever they see each other, and Little Mister talks about his pirate buddy all the time. For his birthday (in a couple weeks), Little Mister requested that I make a pirate patch so that he could be a real pirate like Ed.

I now have one less craft project to complete. Little Mister is the proud owner of his very own, real eye patch.



As my son sits here snacking on a "bunny carrot," I'm busy processing the events of this morning. I had mentioned briefly in on of my Day Book entries that my son had had a few episodes where he felt like the room was spinning around him. At our visit to our pediatrician, we found no obvious cause of the dizziness. Before we did further (scary) testing, Dr. Sean referred us to the optometrist for an eye exam. Since the pediatrician appointment, we've had a couple more episodes that were more along the lines of headaches than dizzy spells, so I was more than happy to take him to the eye doctor this morning.

As it turns out, Dr. Sean was right on the money sending us to the eye doctor. Little Mister is in the early stages of developing a lazy eye. While his vision in one eye is perfectly normal for his age (when the vision is still maturing), his other eye has been lagging behind, and his brain was starting to give up on it and rely solely on his stronger eye. The bottom line: this could most definitely have been causing the dizziness and headaches.


We'll see what our follow up visit with the pediatrician brings, but my mommy mind is more at ease now. Yes, my son will most likely wear glasses forever, but I can't think of a kid that could pull them off better than him! Yes, he will be wearing a patch for 4-6 hours a day until further notice, but I don't know a kid that would be happier to play pirates that often! Yes, we'll have the super fun expense of vision care with a great out-of-network doctor, but we do have vision insurance that will reimburse a portion of the cost. Yes, Little Mister has a lazy eye, but he does not have a brain tumor, migraines, or vertigo. Today is a day full of blessings.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

What a blessing it is that he's so into pirates. The patch won't even feel like a burden to him!

Tiffany said...

My daughter has the same thing! We just went to the eye doctor's yesterday. She is getting glasses and has to wear the patch 30 minutes a day.

Holly Rutchik said...

Super cute! I love when God gives us talents and desires that will help us through trails - clearly the case here! Plus, he is so darn cute in that thing!

On another note - your reflections and slices of life are feeling - well, diffrent to me these days. Am I picking up on JOY JOY JOY in your heart? :)

Tina said...

YAY for finally having answers!
I love him and he is an adorable pirate - and I think he will be just adorable in glasses ;o)

Amanda, Joseph, and Scottie said...

I am so glad that it was nothing more serious. Those types of symptoms are so scary. It is also such a blessing that he is into pirates. It is awesome to watch God work, as he prepares our children for their trials.

Scottie went through a pirate stage and for his third birthday I made him a really cool pirate ship cake. I will post some pictures of it on my blog for you with some details on design, if you would like? One of my cooler cakes for sure.

Mama M. said...

Hey Kelley! Okay...first...I LOVE your "profile". "High school souvenir"--HA!! I love it (and I have one of those too!!).

Coming from a mom with a kiddo with glasses...it's really not so bad, is it?! I sometime think, glasses are one of those things that you think are a bigger deal than they actually are!

And, dang...are kids cute in glasses ('course, I'm biased, but still...) or what?!

Cute stuff...and I love the pirate patch...arrrrgghhh!

Mama M. said...

P.S. I'm not really sure how I found your blog...but it's fun!

melissa said...

FRIDAY FOLLOW ~ GLAD YO MEET YOU