Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I Stink at Creative Writing.

It's a fact, no need to try to convince me otherwise. The irony is that I'm an English major for goodness sake! I filled my elective courses with English classes in high school, aced multiple courses in poetry, creative writing, short story, etc. in college, and I taught creative writing to my high school students before I became a SAHM. But, in spite of my best efforts, know how, and great desire to be a creative writer, I am not one. Do I love it? Absolutely. Poetry at least. I sort of hate writing prose because I am even worse at that than poetry. But, I have come to accept the fact that I will never publish a novel, poem, or even short story. And that's ok. It's strange that God would have given me a love for something for which I have little natural talent, but I'm learning to accept it. Until he turns the light on in my creative brain for writing, I'm content to write creatively in the secrecy of my own journal.

I am, however, a fantastic nonfiction writer when I want to be one. I'm great at grammar, sentence structure, and conveying information in a clear, concise manner. Mr. K must have hammered the "concise and precise" theory into the very core of my brain in AP Comp because it's as if I'm incapable of droning on with useless information. It just makes sense to get in, tell it like it is, and get out. Maybe I don't actually prefer to write this way, but it seems most efficient to me. Why waste people's time with unnecessary information?

In reality, I'm like this in my social life as well. I've always been the quiet one, not because I'm scared to speak but because I'm an observer by nature and do not like to offer useless comments. I'm not sure it is a strength or weakness, but it does explain why my blog posts are rarely more than a couple paragraphs!

5 comments:

Mrs. Haid said...

Mr. K influenced how I explained tricky assignments to my students, too. I used "under the umbrella of the theme" a few times!

Tiffany said...

Love this - can relate sooo well! (Although, I can be wordy {bleck})

Chrissy said...

Well, I appreciate that you are great at grammar, sentence structure, and conveying information in a clear, concise manner! :o) I strive to do this, too, and while I'm probably not as good as you and Bethany, I sure try!

Chrissy said...

Well, maybe not the concise part...I attempt to develop my "stories" and they are sometimes long! ;o)

Amanda, Joseph, and Scottie said...

Mr. K is the reason I am Acing history classes and don't feel completely terrified by the senior thesis that I am facing this semester. I am not always concise, he used to get onto me for that, but I sure have an understanding of how to write. I learned more things from him that I use frequently than I did from any other high school teacher.