Sunday, January 10, 2010

Frugal Feeding


This week is one of those where we're playing catch up from a slam of year end bills and unexpected expenses. With only $150 in our spending account to make it through the week, grocery shopping is just not an option. The cabinets and freezer were already scarcely stocked, but Big Sister and I scoured the kitchen to see what we could plan for the week.
With a family sized (5.5 lb) ground beef I purchased last week, a package of bratwurst, and the random veggies we found, dinners aren't sounding half bad:

Tonight: bratwurst, fried okra, green beans, jello
Monday: spaghetti, salad, garlic toast
Tuesday: tacos, rice
Wednesday: macaroni and cheese with tuna, green beans, hominy
Thursday: homemade hamburger helper, leftover sides
Friday: marinated venison steaks, peas, corn, mashed potatoes
Saturday: vegetable soup, cold cut sandwiches

Leftovers from main dishes will serve as hubby's lunch the next day, breakfast will be oatmeal or eggs, and lunch for the stay-at-home gang will be canned fruit, salads, and sandwiches (peanut butter, cold cut, etc.).

On the shopping list for this week: crunchy taco shells, 1 tomato, 1 can tuna, 1 loaf whole wheat bread. My grocery bill should be less than $5- Not bad!
I've been looking for a way to save even more money on dinners around here, but it's difficult to find dinner menus online for less than $10 a meal. If you know of a site that's hiding from me, let me know! Before my mom pitched a pile of old Taste of Home issues, I scoured the pages and ran across a great column: Feed Your Family for ___ a Plate!

I ripped each of the articles out to keep, and while the 82 cent budget that the article promised has surely risen since 2003, the menus still have to be cheaper than any I've found published online. Most of them include dessert, a course I usually skip with my meals, so there's some additional savings!

*Slow-Cooked Mac 'N' Cheese, Sunflower Broccoli,
Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake (.99)

*Three Cheese Shells, Beans and Caramelized Onions,
Lemon Cheese Squares (1.59)

*After Thanksgiving Salad, Quick Corn Chowder, Popovers (.87)

*Hearty Bean Soup, Cornmeal Rolls, Hot Water Gingerbread (.99)

*Country-Fried Steak, Chive Carrots, Dilly Mashed Potatoes (1.29)

*Garlic Swiss Steak, White Bread, Lemon Glazed Carrots (.92)

*Tuna Mushroom Casserole, Snap Salad,
Vanilla Wafer Cookies (.89)

*Chicken Confetti, Dilled Zucchini, Orange Whip (1.33)

*Pizza from Scratch, Italian Cucumber Salad,
Chewy Peanut Butter Bars (.82)

*Orange Chicken, Baked Rice Pilaf, Chocolate Chip Cake (1.31)

*Bean Counter Chowder, Soft Onion Breadsticks,
Strawberry Sandwich Cookies (.99)

*Chicken Veggie Casserole, White Yeast Rolls,
Moist Chocolate Cake (.81)

Anything sound tasty? Let me know, and I'll post the recipes!



2 comments:

Nel said...

Sometimes I am amazed at the meals I can find in my fridge and cabinets with things I already have!Your meals this week sound yummy! And I feel your pain for year end budgets and money...

Ashley said...

Oh, I want some of them! How about the Sunflower Broccoli, Three Cheese Shells, After Thanksgiving Salad (I have a whole turkey I need to find a use for), and Dilly Mashed Potatoes?

Thanks!!