Friday, November 6, 2009

Superficiality... That's a Word, Right?


Although I have very firm opinions on issues that spill into the political spectrum, I by no means consider myself to be politically minded in my own life. Although Little Mister's surprise arrival cut my professional career short, I can clearly remember watching the other high school teachers around me during my two years as an educator. I watched the ones who were fast tracking their way to administration, the ones who took great care to keep the principal and superintendent close, and the ones who constantly stirred trouble.

Me? I was there for the kids. That's it. I was friendly to my coworkers, respectful of my superiors, and mildly involved in faculty activities (secret santa, etc.), but for the most part, I arrived at school, spent my mornings tweaking my lesson plans and preparing handouts, my passing periods helping students who didn't quite understand the day's assignment, my planning period grading, and then left for home promptly after school, taking any excess work along with me. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but that's me. I'm not a people pleaser by nature, and while I will bend over backward for my family or friends, I've never been one to appease someone for the purpose of advancing myself. I think it's ridiculous that that sort of artificial networking is needed to get ahead in life. Whatever happened to being valued for hard work, dedication, talent, and smarts? I have a hard time digesting the games people play to get ahead in life. While trying not to anger someone with power makes sense, purposely befriending someone for that sole purpose just seems superficial and dishonest.

I hope that I can teach my children the value of self worth, generosity, diligent effort, and being passionate about whatever it is they choose to do with their lives. I pray that God calls them to work free from politics and rich in traditional Christian values, work that will challenge them to grow as individuals in Christ and allow them to bring others closer to God in the process.



Thanks for stopping by,

3 comments:

Marie said...

Wonderful post Kelly. I am sure you were a fabulous teacher, and I am sure you still are and your children will thank you one day for your work and dedication and love for them.

Jessica said...

I have a silly question for you. I'm a little dense on some computer things and very new to blogging also. I wanted to get that Mom's for Modesty button on my page, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out. Can you help please?! Thanks!

Kelley said...

Jessica- I'm working on this request! Just have to check one thing with Hubby first! :-)