Monday, October 5, 2009

So Long to...


Kirsten Larson

Some of you may know that Big Sister received her first American Girl doll, Samantha, last spring. She was one of the very last Samantha dolls purchased- just before midnight on New Year's Eve 2008.

And now, in an effort to tempt moms everywhere living vicariously through their daughters (I surely don't fall into that group), the American Girl company will be retiring Kirsten, the brave Swede turned frontiersgirl at the end of the year.

It's funny how many items that were popular for we moms who grew up in the 80's have reappeared on the shelves: Care Bears, My Little Ponies, Strawberry Shortcake, and the list goes on... just in time for us to purchase them for our own little ones for sake of reminiscing and connecting with our kiddos. The American Girl company seems to be using a different playbook, but in reality, they're one step ahead of the game, forcing moms to between purchasing an overpriced staple of our childhoods' bookshelves and doll collections and risking the opportunity lost forever. Sad as it is, I'm not sure that I'll be in line to purchase this one.

Anyone starting a penny jar for the cause???



3 comments:

Molly said...

WHAT??!!! I had not heard about this one yet! I am still coveting your "sneaky" purchase of Samantha..LOL ;) So, I might have to splurge this one through..ha!

PS..I am LOVING your signature here ;) nice additive!

cya in the AM!

Marie said...

I have always wanted to have an American Girl doll. I can perchance but dream . . .

Ashley said...

Oh I'm so glad I already have both of these...I dread the day that I'm forced to make a midnight purchase because I don't have her!!! lol You know I'll do it though don't you?!