Monday, October 12, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook: October 12th



For Today... October 12, 2009

Outside my window... Leaves glisten with the rain that has just finished, and drops fall intermittently from the roof. It is a cold, dreary day in the midwest. I'm almost hoping tonight's soccer game is canceled as I'm not looking forward to getting the little ones out in the cold tonight!

From the kitchen... I purchased a Woman's Day last week and discovered a gem hidden inside the covers that indicate age. I just figured out that age must surely indicate wisdom as this very cheap ($1.99 off the news stand) publication is chock full of useful tips and recipes. There's even a calendar listing dinner for each day of the month. I can't imagine not repeating a dish in a whole month! Today I'm organizing my kitchen, cleaning the fridge, and going shopping for a whole week's worth of meals. Hopefully I won't find myself rummaging through the cabinets at 5:00 trying to figure out what's for dinner anymore-- or at least not as often!

I am wearing... A hideous pair of brown fuzzy yoga pants with cream stripes down the sides and a brown tank top. I know, I know... what can I say? It's cleaning day!

From the Learning Rooms... Little Mister came home from my mother's reading lessons last Tuesday and read five Dick and Jane stories to me! He only needed help on one word! The great thing about Dick and Jane is that they start simple and increase the words that are used as the stories progress. The first story used "oh" and "look." That's it. By the end of his pages, Little Mister was reading words like "Mother" and "funny." He was SO proud of himself, and I'm super excited for him too!

I am creating... an organized office. Last Friday, I'd had had enough of the kid size card table that held my Mac Mini... enough of the kids constantly dragging toys into my bedroom on their way to pbskids.org... enough of the piles of boxes housing the books and tech gear that belonged in the office. So yesterday, hubby and I installed our office counter tops. All by ourselves! They look great, and hopefully after tonight, we'll have our file cabinets installed as support. Then I can start the organization process!

I am praying... for safe travels as my baby sister flies home this week and for a fun and rewarding first weekend of full-fledged wedding planning!

I am reading... The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather. Though it's taking me a while, I'm savoring each word of Thea's journey. I might move on to another Cather novel next... perhaps My Antonia.

Around the house... Laundry is a load shy of being completed, so I think I'm going to tackle the kids' rooms today. They all do a decent job of keeping their toys put away, so today will be about vacuuming and sorting through dressers and closets.

One of my favorite things... a weekend with no plans at all

A few plans for the rest of the week... our last fall soccer game, a sewing night, and some online shopping for Little Miss' upcoming birthday.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...

Halloweens passed: round two. Big Sister's butterfly costume made with love my yours truly when she was three.



Join the daybook group or see other daybooks here!



Thanks for stopping by,

2 comments:

Marie said...

Oh how I miss Women's Day magazine, along with Family Circle. They were always my favourites. I love, LOVE the pictureof your little girl in her butterfly costume. How sweet is that!!!

A Gracious Home said...

I enjoyed your daybook. You are really busy today. I hope you get everything done. I like that magazine you mentioned. A true value for your money. Your little girl is precious in her costume. Doylene