Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Proactive Parenting

Oh, boy. Today was just one of those days! Little Mister was an angel while we took Great-Grandma shopping, but this afternoon, it was as if he morphed into Dennis the Menace. Really. I felt just like Mr. Wilson, only my Dennis came equipped with screams, hateful yelling, and tears. First a refusal to buckle into his car seat, then a horrible display at martial arts, and just before bed an attempt to swing from the one set of curtains I've hung in my house. I was in rare form today as a result. I'm really out of ideas with this one. We've tried spanking, time out, consequences that fit the misbehavior (draw on sister's walls = no longer allowed in sister's room), the big scary mommy voice, manual labor, talking about why the action is wrong... I've pretty much decided that I'm just not doing enough proactive parenting. I think this one just needs way more hands-on attention than Big Sister did. I'm going to do my best to focus on playing with him more, involving him in my household duties, and generally keeping him busy. After all, idle hands....

3 comments:

Tina said...

Age - Ryan has never had a behavior problem until this year!!!!
Now we have days like this!!!
Sibling rivalry - only post-Owen have we had this behavior...

Or I suck as a parent -
I wish I had some advice for you - or some encouraging words,,,,,,

but just remember this too shall pass.....
and they do grow up way to fast .....

Marie said...

I guess we all have those moments. Ups and downs. As Tina said, just take heart that this too shall pass.

StumblingServant said...

Oh little mister. Can you believe some people argue that there's no difference between males and females except the physical?

I like the proactive idea, I mean, Big Sis had alot of people to give her attention at that age . . . and right now, it's only you and hubby when he's home. And that attention's divided three ways. It makes sense that he'd need more hands on attention. Wish I could be there to visit and play way more often! But count me in for some serious play time next week. :D Can't wait to see you guys and the new house! :D