Friday, August 28, 2009

Excitement, Fear, and Fulfillment

Someone told me recently that when I die, I'll be regretting all the things I avoided because I was scared. I've been thinking about that statement a lot since then. It was meant to mean that I didn't have enough fun and excitement, meant to mean that I was too conservative, that my lifestyle couldn't possibly be fulfilling. I'm not sorry (and even grateful) that my life doesn't seem "exciting" to that person. My life is not consumed by weekends on the lake, nights out on the town, and a general feeling of worldly freedom. BUT- my life IS exciting. I'm excited EVERY morning to watch God's hand in my life, to see how He wishes to use me today. It's exciting to watch my kids grow up, knowing that I'm doing my best to raise them in the way of The Cross. Fulfillment- that will come after a lifetime of following God, of walking by faith in spite of worldly temptations to live a life that fits today's definition of exciting.

However, I do worry that I'll someday regret the things I avoided because I was scared. Things like confrontation, standing up for my kids, raising them in Christ. Things like staying away from elements of the world that do not honor Him, that seek to destroy the holiness of marriage. THOSE are the things that I am afraid of, the things I pray each day for the courage to do in spite of my fear, the things that I could never do were it not for my faith in Eternal Fulfillment and my desire to hear,

"Well done my good and faithful servant. Since you were faithful in small matters, I will give you great responsibilities. Come, share your master's joy." (Matthew 25:21)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I love this post kelley...good thoughts.