Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Testing the Waters: Lessons in Potty Training


Ah, Yes.  Sweet victory!  My 18 month old has been BEGGING to use the potty for a couple weeks now, so today was the day.  I visited Target to buy a new pink potty chair, pull ups which we will use exclusively for sleeping, and 12 pair of fancy toddler panties.  All the way home, I had an mildly gassy daughter, so I was curious to see what she would do when I pulled to potty out of its box and sat it on the floor.  Miracle of miracles, the little angel sat right down and did her business.  ALL her business.  Then she tagged along to learn all about clean up.  THEN we got to try on her new Ariel panties.  She LOVED them!  As is was already 8:30, she didn't wear them for long and instead changed into her new Dora "Sleep Pants" as we under this roof title them.  Could this be beginner's luck? Absolutely.  Do I care that I'm testing these waters earlier than is pediatrician recommended?  Not in the least.  Here's what I've learned while potty training my first two:  



1.  If you're not ultra dedicated, kids will string out the process over several months.  

2. Pull Ups or any equivalent are a complete waste of effort for training purposes.  My first treated them just like diapers, and I'm fairly sure this is the case for most parents.  

3.  Stock up on Resolve Carpet Cleaner and Deodorizer and resign yourself to clean-up duty.

4.  In spite of the controversy, rewarding with M&M's works- provided your child isn't like my son who has a built-in chocolate detector and sneaks it at every chance.

5. There is not good time to potty train.  This one is a new revelation for me.  We're in the midst of chaos, with hubby out of town, a renovation coming to a head, and a move on the horizon, but she's ready, so I'm making myself ready for her!  

6. If all else fails, train them along with the younger sibling.  I'm kidding here... sort of.  My crazy son, who at 3 years and 4 months still refuses to initiate using the bathroom, perked up something fierce tonight and elected to get his act together for the first time in months.  He was even WANTING to put his boxer briefs back on afterward.  




That said, I'd appreciate any ingenious tips that my trusty readers have to offer!




2 comments:

Jesslikesstuff said...

OMG that is a FABULOUS potty! I've never seen a princess potty before :) Hope I can find one like that where I live (we don't have Target in Canada). Good luck with the potty training. No advice as mine is only 7 months, but I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you!!!

Jaye @ canadian-mom.ca said...

Whoa, that's awesome! Let's hope it isn't just beginner's luck and it will stick! :)