Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Vocation Day

"My heart is restless until it rests in You, or Lord." 
~St. Augustine

Today I chaperoned my 6th grade religion class on a trip to our diocese cathedral for Vocation Day.  Every time I think I might be due for a break from teaching on Wednesday evenings, I am reminded that I learn along with the kids.  

* When I pray with my students, I am praying as an example.  Many of our Catholic prayers are prayed so often that it would be easy to begin reciting them rather than truly praying.  When I pray these Catholic prayers with my 6th graders, I make a point to really keep the words in my heart and head before they leave my mouth.  I think we all need to be careful not to let ourselves recite popular prayers.  Even the night time prayers we pray with our children should be prayed not as poems but as heartfelt praise, thanksgiving, and petition to our Lord.

* St. Augustine's words at the start of this post were cited by a presenter I listened to today as an example of how we know that we are where God intends us to be, that we are doing what God wants us to do.  I found my way to the empty sanctuary after that speaker.  I wanted to reflect on any restlessness that I might have in my own heart.  I hope that every one of you can find a time to sit in the silence of God's house and allow Him to give you clarity about any restlessness that may be within you.  It was quite an amazing 15 minutes for me!

* When it comes to my children being called to priesthood or religious life, it is difficult for me to get passed what is expected in the world.  You grow up, graduate, get married, and have babies, right?  I didn't grow up in a family that encouraged me to be open to God's call to be a nun.  I grew up thinking that nuns were fantastic, admirable, respectable, and holy, but becoming a nun seemed as much a reality for me as becoming a movie star.  I hope that I am instilling a more real view of all vocations; I think that I am.  My daughter knows that she could be a nun and do many different jobs from a farmer to a Christian singer/songwriter.  Only God knows right now what vocation he will call my children to, but it is my duty as a Christian to raise them to listen with an open heart to God's direction.

1 comment:

Holly Rutchik said...

This is truly a beautiful post! Thank you so much. It was a blessing to me to read this tonight, as I have been preparing to write something for the ordination on a dear friend this month. God's blessings and I will pray for God's will in the lives of your children.