Monday, May 25, 2009

Spontaneity + Kids = Daddy's Home

On the spur of the moment, I packed up all three kids and headed to the airport to surprise Daddy at the gate.  I wasn't sure how smart it was to keep our welcome a secret.  I hoped his flight wouldn't be so early that he'd already be on his way back to the base when we arrived!  It'd been a long time since I'd done something spontaneous and sweet for him, so we took our chances.  Everything went so smoothly!  The flight arrived 20 minutes late but at the correct gate.  The kids and I watched hawaiian print shirts and leis passing by and finally saw him walking with a few other airmen.  My 8-year-old was the first to break away from me and tackle him.  His face was priceless- a mix of confusion and surprise, then recognition as our son ran up behind his sister, then simple happy relief to be home.  We traveled 4 hours for that moment, but making sure my husband knew he was missed has made for many more priceless moments in the last day that he's been home!    

I used to think that my children hindered my ability to be romantic and sweet with my husband, and in some ways they do.  But I'm learning that they only require me to be more creative in my efforts, and that a moment with kids in tow can be just as sweet and intimate as one with just the two of us!

2 comments:

Marie said...

What a wonderful thing to do. I bet your husband really appreciated it and you have built a beautiful memory for your children.

StumblingServant said...

It's moments like this that I'm proud that you're my sister and childishly want to be just like my big sis! :D