Saturday, May 23, 2009

Late Night Minnie Mouse Cake

Another cake under my belt...

I really appreciate the opportunity to be a tiny piece of the milestones of those around me. Last year, I made Miss Lydia's first birthday cake, and it's hard to believe I just finished one for her 2nd birthday! Sometimes it freaks me out that time seems to pass so quickly. I try to stop and figure out why it seems to go by so much faster than when I was younger. I digress...

This year's party theme was Minnie Mouse, so we decided to do a cake inspired by Minnie's polka dot dress and top it off with a Disney World style Minnie "hat." This was a fairly simple set up that used hidden pillars to give the illusion of the top layer floating on the base cake. Making black icing is getting easier for me. I've finally learned that black gets darker as it sets, so while I was icing the cake, it seemed as though my hat would be gray, but ten minutes later- black! The same rule applies to Red dye, at least with the Wilton brand that I use. Fondant ears and bow finished off the cake.




5 comments:

Marie said...

That's so cute!! I love it!

Ashley said...

Yet again, beautiful! :0) (Start practicing for a shark...lol)

Dana said...

That is the cutest cake !!

Nel said...

That is amazing!!! You did an awesome job!

Molly said...

Perfect!!! You did a great job ;) of course!