Sunday, April 12, 2009

Roger that, God!

I just had a moment to share this while I'm waiting for my contribution to Easter dinner to finish cooking... 

We walked into church this morning toward our regular pew- second from the front on the right.  As we approached, it was covered in popcorn crumbs, and I whispered to my husband, "That's what our pew would have looked like if we'd brought the kids last night."  Mass commenced shortly thereafter, and it certainly didn't take long for God to put His two cents into yesterday's post!  Somewhere in the midst of my musings, I mentioned that I didn't feel like we would get anything from Easter Vigil mass with our kids in tow.  Well, as it turns out, one of the comments during my dear Father Dave's homily this morning was that he might scream if he hears another person complain that they don't get anything from mass.  He further explained that we do not come to mass to get something from it but rather to GIVE something.  I was reminded that I am there to offer my praise and thanksgiving, and while I might learn a few things along with way, like I did this morning, my purpose in attending mass is to offer myself and my life up for His Most Holy Purpose!  Further, it is my responsibility as a parent to raise my children to attend mass for the same purpose.  

Oops!  Shame on me for being so self-absorbed in a time where it is most important to focus on Jesus Christ!  Perhaps our priest is a silent reader here, but whether this morning was God working solo or in cahoots with Fr. Dave, I hear Him loud and clear!  

3 comments:

Lil Sis said...

So as I read this, I thought, "God speaks to my big sis like he speaks to me." It seems that each time I'm discerning a descision, it is through the mouths of priests and readings at the mass that he very clearly answers me (with the same words I used in my question). :)

Then, I got to the bottom, and cracked up at the "silent reader" comment. I could totally see it, Fr. Dave reading your blog. So, for the sake that he may be, I say, "Hi Fr. Dave! Thanks for all you do!" haha.

Direct Sales Customer ENewsletters said...

I found your blog by accident and something drew me to this post. Thank you for reminding me that church is for giving and thanking God for all his blessings and even those things we don't recognize as blessings right away. God bless you and thank you for sharing.

Kelley said...

I think it's amazing when God sends you what you need! I stumbled on a month of prayer guide for my husband just when I was needing to redirect my efforts in that direction!