Thursday, April 9, 2009

Making the Switch

Being off school for Good Friday and Easter Monday to prepare for and rejoice in Jesus' death and resurrection is just one of the things I'm going to miss when my daughter moves from parochial school to public next year.  I pulled a Rory Gilmore prior to making the decision to change schools and made pro/con lists until I was blue in the face.  I'm confident in my decision.  It's the best thing for her, even if it's not easy for me.  Although she will not have the blessing of attending weekday masses designed for children, she is avoiding a burnt-out teacher that I've heard nothing but warnings about.  Seriously, not a single positive remark about her would-be teacher!  She is getting aquatinted with the kids she'll be attending high school with.  She is being exposed to more technology and more extra-curricular opportunities.  She is excited about her new adventure.  I, on the other hand, am leaving a school where I spent 6 years finding my niche.  I'm giving up my volunteer opportunities along with the friendships that I've made with other volunteers.  I am giving up a network of moms who are genuine and faithful, who challenge me to be a better Christian and parent.  I am disappointed that my daughter will not be graduating from 8th grade with her classmates as I had planned for her to do.  I am afraid that I will not be able to fully compensate for reinforcement of faith and religious beliefs that we've been able to count on these past 6 years.

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

So you're changing schools because of the teacher? Is that the only reason? Have you considered the Lutheran school?

Your Lil Sis said...

Alright, so does this mean I should start sending home homework to her? haha. I'm on it! What are god-parents for? :D