Friday, March 27, 2009

Eureka!

Yesterday, we had a slow start to our day, but what I thought I was "settling" for turned out to be one of my new favorite St. Louis secrets!

I had planned to take my kids to Cahokia Mounds, but when I found out that they had guided tours during the summer, I decided to postpone that destination until after school is out. Knowing that my kids were expecting something fantastic, I turned to my mother for some fresh ideas. The typical St. Louis attractions were mentioned: City Museum, The Magic House, The Zoo, Purina Farms, The Arch, and Grant's Farm. I was in no mood to take the kids to the same exhibits they've seen multiple times. I wanted to introduce something new to them, so we kept brainstorming. Eventually, we decided it would be fun to take the kids on a train ride, just for the heck of it. We looked up the Amtrak schedule hoping to take a ride from Kirksville to Herman and back again. Unfortunately, we were about an hour too late for the morning train, and the afternoon train would not allow us to return until close to midnight.

Driving down I-270 to meet my sister for lunch, we saw a sign for the National Transportation Museum. My mom had taken my brother decades ago, so I hoped it would be entertaining enough to pass for a day trip! It exceeded my expectations. Kids 4 and under are free, and prices are $4 for kids and $6 for adults with a military price of $4. The grounds included an indoor exhibit of classic cars and fun models of how cars run. For kids 5 and under, there's a creativity center available for $1.50/session. Outside, there are tons of trains, many which can be explored. The kids were able to ring the bell of one of the trains. Train rides being in April, so we will absolutely be looking for some friends to invite back with us soon!

3 comments:

Tina said...

do you have the website handy??
And More info about the train rides, please!!!! :)

Kelley said...

The train schedule is online. It's $2 for unlimited rides!

http://transportmuseumassociation.org/

Molly said...

you know who your "friends" are to invite..lol :) sounds like a fun outing this spring!!!!